Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Tall Stacks....Cincinnati, Ohio

TALL STACKS IN CINCINNATI
Steamboats on the Ohio River with the Great American Ball park in the background
Well, he is a lifetime member of the NRA...he was a little frustrated there was no firing pin!?!?

Tucker in the sleeping quarters of the LST 325. The bunks were 4 high and there were sometimes 3 soldiers assigned to a bunk. They slept and worked in 8 hour shifts.

A motley crew; Candy, Kim, John and Dad (funny how we stand in birth order...)

The Great American Ball Park, The Belle Of Lousville, The Natchez and the Majestic (Paul Brown Stadium in the the far background)









The Clevengers at Tall Stacks:

Dad, John, Candy & Tucker






This weekend was the Tall Stacks Festival on the Ohio River in Cincy. I went on Thursday with my Dad, sister, brother and Tucker. Yes, I took Tucker out of school to go. The weather was kind of misty and chilly. But we still had so much fun. We cruised on the Belle of Louisville, an authentic steamboat! Then we had dinner at Newport on the Levy and watched Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys perform at Sawyer Point. I do love Bluegrass Music! Then we returned on Sunday, with Steve's mom and Tim. The crowds were HUGE, it was such a beautiful day. Tucker and I went earlier than everyone and visited the LST 325, a WWII Landing Craft that was used in the invasion of Normandy. I stood in the bottom of that boat and my mind was filled with the young men that stood there on that day. How did they feel? I could only imagine what was going through their minds? I was filled with pride for all that those men did for us! Then as I stood on the upper deck, tears streamed down my face as I read the tribute to all that had served on that vessel and how the LST 325 would have felt had she been able to speak. It was a humbling moment for me. A moment when I thanked God for blessing me with an incredible birth place.
Standing on the upper deck, I watched my son as he listened intently to everything the crew members had to say. Tucker knew what a "Higgins Boat" (that was the boat the men landed on the shores of Normandy in) was and how many men it would hold and how much their packs weighed. Did you know that some of those boys weighed about 14o lbs and by the time they got their packs on, they weighed 300 lbs??? Tucker is an amazing kid and he does love his history. I had to drag him off the boat since we were meeting everyone on the other side of the river. But before I did, I looked at the skyline of Cincinnati and all those Steam Boats cruising up and down the river...the caliope's from the Natchez had me tapping my foot and I realized how very blessed we are to be living in such a wonderful and incredible country. God Bless America, Home of the Brave!!!

Blessings,
Kim

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Isn't that something. When we get our girls home, we will have to come up to the "Tall Stacks" with you guys.

Go Bell of Louisville!!!!!!

Leslie

Kimberly said...

Hi Leslie! The Belle was beautiful! We loved it! You will have to come, but definately on a weekday. Graeter's has an icecream cruise....we'll do that. Sundaes for everyone!
Blessings,
Kim