Friday, April 04, 2008

Hair cut

As you may or may not know, I've been growing my hair. But for a good reason...I decided I would donate my hair to Locks Of Love http://www.locksoflove.org. It's an organization that provides hairpieces to disadvantaged children under the age of 18 that are suffering from long term medical hair loss.

I was inspired to donate my hair after a friend of mine, Deb, told me she was donating her hair. I'm not a fan of long hair for myself. I believe I'm too old and I have fine/thin/semi curly hair. All of these characteristics do not add up to nice looking long hair. But I perservered only because of a new weapon that fights the frizzies....a flat iron. I paid a pretty penny for my flat iron, but it made my hair tolerable.

I almost didn't make it in China~if my stylist had not emailed me during one of my "bad hair" rants, I probably would have done the same thing I did when I got Elise. I had my hair cut to within 2" all around my head. It was a smart cut and looked very nice for Gotcha Day photos. I was so very tempted~heat~humidity~no flat iron. It was ugly! I have to say, that I do not care for the photos of me in China this last time. Hate the hair!

So, last Friday, I went to Amanda (my stylist) and told her to cut it off! She HATES cutting my hair short. She was so nervous. But I have a philosophy about hair~It GROWS! So after about 18 months of letting my hair just grow, they were able to cut a 10" pony tail. Being the jokester that I am, I squealed when Amanda took the first snip at my "tail". She did jump and did not laugh. But I did!

Now I'm sporting a sassy new doo! I love it! My hair loves it...it's bouncy, curly and not frizzy! All things I just love about hair. I'd post pics but I'm always the one behind the camera so I can't oblige you! But I did want to share.

I'm off to a church retreat with Tuck's confirmation class this weekend. We'll be doing a ropes course tomorrow. I LOVE high adventure stuff! Big surprise huh!?!

3 comments:

Donna said...

Kim, no fair!! I want to see your before and after pics :)

Lisa said...

Ok, I want to see the new do! You have to post pics.

Pamela Askew said...

Kim,
My friend just did the same thing and donated her hair to locks of love... she LOVES her shorter style ... her hair was VERY LONG... almost to her bottom :) She had grown it out most of her life. Good for you for persevering and growing it out!

Pam