Saturday, July 19, 2008

Order of the Arrow Weekend

It's always a bummer when you return from vacation. There's nothing thrilling about returning to the daily ins & outs of life. Not like getting up early, eating breakfast and heading to the beach for some sandcastle building. Yep, life at the beach is much different than life in the 'burbs.

With that said, the most exciting thing over the last week has been the "Extreme Home Makeover" was in our city this past week. It was very exciting, I even went up to the house one day with the girls. I did get to see Michael, one of the designers, but that was it. I just wasn't very motivated to stand out in the heat with two toddlers and hope to see someone famous. But at least I did go.

Tucker is at his Order of the Arrow Ordeal this weekend. It's the Boy Scouts of America's National Honor Society.

According to Wikipedia this is what the OA is:

The Order of the Arrow (OA) is the national honor society of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). Founded in 1915, it uses American Indian traditions and ceremonies to bestow recognition on Scouts selected by their peers as best exemplifying the Scout Oath and Scout Law in their daily lives. Inducted members are known as Arrowmen or brothers and are organized into local youth-led lodges for fellowship and the rendering of service to Boy Scout councils and their communities.

Any scout that has been through their "ordeal', is sworn to secrecy to not tell other scouts about the ceremonies etc. It's kind of like a secret society~think Free Masons or Knights of Templar.
;-). Tucker would just roll his eyes when I said stuff like that. But for me, it made it more exciting.

I dropped him off on Friday night and I'll pick him up Sunday morning. Before he left on Friday, he reviewed his packing list with me. I knew they would be working, so I asked him if he packed his hiking boots to work in. His comment to me was, "Mom, my "Chucks" are my workboots." Those of you who don't know what "Chucks" are, these are it....

Yep, good ole fashioned, high-topped, canvas tennis shoes. Not joking, wish I were. This is coming from my son that finished his freshman year with a 4+ GPA.



I did head to the garage to find the hiking boots, but they were no where to be found...hmmmm. When I asked where they were, "I don't know." was all I got...again...hmmmm.

So I'm excited to get him tomorrow and hear about this weekend. When I left on Friday, there was a bunch of teenage boys, standing underneath a shelter house, looking less than thrilled to be spending their Summer Friday night getting ready to work. I pulled out, with my radio blasting some oldie but good (my windows were rolled up, so they couldn't hear it!) Ah, it does a mother's heart good!
image signature

No comments: