Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Saturday Wrestling Results from the Coaches Classic

Tucker got home at 11:30 p.m. on Friday night, took a much needed shower and then we ate some spaghetti. Gotta have those carbs!! We had a discussion about his pending match. He was dreading this match (so was I). We knew it would be one of the toughest he would face in the tournament. If he won this match, he would probably win the tournament. If he lost, he would fall to the losers bracket and the highest placing would be third. After much debate, Tucker's father and I determined that one of his biggest problems was his confidence. He is lacking terribly in that department. I told him that no matter what match he was wrestling in, he needed to KNOW and BELIEVE that he was the person to beat....no matter who the other wrestler was. I told him this because I see those some of those boys out on that mat totally intimidating their opponents. Their confidence or cockiness is astounding. Some of them are very impressive, others are just cocky and need to have their heads deflated a bit. I explained to him the difference between cocky and confident. He seems to think they are the same thing. All in all, a nice midnight chat with my incredible son!
Saturday morning came early. Tucker needed to be at the school at 8 a.m. and he said the meet started at 9:30 a.m. I knew this wasn't true but didn't go in to that with him. I have learned that he needs to have his parents there when the team is warming up....even if that is an hour before the meet starts. So naturally, we arrived early and watched the warm ups. This photo is of all the teams warming up on the mats Saturday morning. There were 23 teams there but only 22 returned on Saturday.
Lots and lots of wrestlers - 23 total teams
Can you smell it?????
Nerves can't describe how I was feeling when it was his turn to wrestle. I knew he would be in for the match of his live...this kid is tough (or a stud as we dub the best wrestlers). He opponent has wrested for five years (Tucker is in his second year), he has a private wrestling coach and trains year round (Tucker starts training in November for December matches). Of course the coach only shared this information with Tucker after the match. No one wants to be foretold of the impending doom! Unfortunately, Tucker lost the match 8-0. He did not get pinned, which was a bonus. I will say that there was a moment when I thought I would come out of the stand and hurt someone. This kids literally picked Tucker up off the ground and threw him to the floor like a small sack of potatoes....did I mention his was a stud??? It wasn't a good moment for me...fortunately, I wasn't video taping. Tucker has to take a medical time-out. After the match, he had a pounding headache. We gave him some ibuprofen and made his lay in the bleachers and sleep for about 1 1/2 hours. When he woke up, he felt much better. He wrestled two more matches and won both to secure third place. The kid he lost to in the 3rd round, went on to win the weight class. Tucker wrestled the kid that came in second a week ago and pinned him to win second place in the previous tournament. So, according to records, Tucker was ranked #2 after the meet. It just so happened that he met the "winner" of the weight class too early in the bracket or he could have probably gotten second place. I know, I sound like a typical parent. Tucker's record is 17-3. That's pretty impressive. This weekend is the GMC tournament. He has a good chance of placing very high or even winning. I'll keep you posted!
92 Pound Weight Class winners. Tucker is #3.


Lakota Ridge Wrestlers that received medals from the meet....with their coaches. We were only missing one of the boys for this photos.


There was a professional photographer at the meet and I'm waiting for those photos. I'll post them when I get them.
Other things going on: I have two other blogs you might want to check out and I'm working on one for Elise. You can find them in my favorite blogs on the side bar of this blog. They are for Amelia!
I've decided to transfer all of the posting from the Yahoo group and start a blog that everyone can read. I'll let you know when it's ready to look at.
Blessings,
Kim


No comments: