Saturday, February 24, 2007

Hiking to Philmont & Nalgene bottles


This my friends, is a Nalgene bottle. Something all good hikers have. From my understanding, this bottle is indestructible (unless you stab it with a knife, which some of the boys in Tucker's scout troop have done). For more about Nalgene bottle, I copied with from their website....
How did these bottles get so popular? Where do they come from?
How it all started…Back in 1949, a Rochester, New York chemist named Emanuel Goldberg developed the first plastic pipette holder. Along with three workers, he began the Nalge Company in a small building at 625 South Goodman Street.
For years Goldberg and his growing team developed the NALGENE line of state-of-the-art polyethylene laboratory equipment: centrifuge bottles, filter units, storage tanks.
Obviously, it wasn't the kind of stuff you toss into your backpack for a weekend in the woods.
But there were rumors floating around ... stories about scientists taking the smaller, more convenient bottles out of the lab and using them on hikes and excursions.
By the 1970s this "unofficial" use for NALGENE bottles caught the eye of Marsh Hyman (President of the Nalge Company in Rochester, New York).
The Boy Scout connection…Marsh had a son who was in the Boy Scouts. He and his fellow Scouts used NALGENE lab bottles on the trail. They were perfect as water bottles; for storing powdered drinks and pancake mix; and for carrying matches and shampoo and snacks and all sorts of camping supplies.
When he learned about these great new uses for his lab bottles, Marsh Hyman went to the Nalge Specialty Department with a mission:
"Spread the word to outdoorspeople all over! Tell them about this new line of high-quality camping equipment."
And that's how NALGENE Outdoor Products started.
So you see, every good outdoors-person, must have a Nalgene Bottle. The one pictured was a Christmas gift from Jena...she outfitted me with several items for my trip to Philmont.
Back to Nalgenes...I thought I take my Nalgene to the gym with water to drink during my workout. I filled it up with ice and water and decided to take a drink. But alas, I couldn't get the water to come out of the bottle. You can't see it, but there's a different sort of top on this bottle that makes it look like you can drink out of the lid. But that is an illusion. An illusion that was revealed to me once my son returned home from school (some six hours AFTER I filled the bottle) and I asked him how the bottle "worked". Let me describe his reaction....He just stares at me, doesn't say a word. He drops his backpack, walk over to the island and picks up the pretty pink Nalgene. The entire time, he's continues to stare at me. The unscrews the lid of the Nalgene, brings the bottle to his lips, take a drink, screws the lid back on and sets the bottle back on the island. O.K., how stupid do you think I'm feeling right now. Yep, I'm Nalgene challenged. All I can say is for you to look at that lid and tell me that you don't think that you should be able to suck out of that thing.
Last night, I made an emergency run to Dick's Sporting goods to buy some appropriate hiking clothes for this 10 mile jaunt today. I know, you're saying, "Why, don't you have clothes you can walk in?" Well, yes I do. But they are not HIKING clothes....or should I say not 100% cotton. Check out your wardrobe....I guarantee nearly 100% of the shirts and pants that you have are made of 100% cotton. You can't hike in cotton. Once it gets wet, it doesn't dry. It's below freezing here today...I didn't want to fall in a snow bank (there's still snow on the ground too) and get my pants wet and them NEVER dry. Not a good think. So I dropped a cool $180 on Under Armor pants and a shirt and hiking pants and a shirt. YOWSA~!!!!!
When I get home, I tell Tucker that I bought myself some winter Under Amour. He looks at me with this look of complete shock and dismay on his face. "Mom, do they make Under Armour for women?" Well, that just blows me away. So I spit back at him, "Don't you mean, they don't make Under Armour for mothers?" Then he goes on to explain that it's just the entire thought of how "clingy" UnderAmour is and all that stuff. Again, it's the whole Mom thing.
So this morning, at 6:30 a.m. I bounced down the steps wearing nothing but my UA and I think I blinded my son. He'll never be the same! I laughed all the way upstairs with my lovely cup of coffee!
LIFE IS GOOD!!!
We hiked 10 miles today in brisk weather (39 degrees TOPS!) I was thanking God for that UA as I was traipsing through the woods. I survived, only fell once and still feel pretty good. We're getting ready for a birthday party for my brother tonight. John will be 45 tomorrow!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!!!
Montgomery Inn Ribs, Chickens and Shrimp just arrived! YUM! Gotta run and prep for dinner! I'm sure there will be photos to follow
Blessings,
Kim

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Sounds like you have had alot of fun! You need to be a writer. I can't wait to see photos!
Don't you just love doing things to your boys that just leave them at a loss for words....how often does that happen?
Lisa

Kimberly said...

Hey Lisa!

Ah yes....leaving a teenager speechless. A difficult task indeed, but one I don't seem to have a tough time doing. Call it a gift!

Photos should be interesting....hiking for 10 days, no deodorant, sleeping on the ground for 10 days...YIPEEE!!!

Lisa said...

Sounds like fun! I don't know if I could sleep on the ground for 10 days. Ouch, my back. No deodorant for 10 days, now that is a way to get a teenager back!
If you want Emily to help you with spicing up your blog you can get her contact info off of my blog. She did a great job and was so helpful. She is such a sweet girl!
Lisa