Friday, March 02, 2007

The "Chick" card

Do you know what the "chick" card is? It's when a woman/girl/child uses the fact that she is female for special treatment. Now that special treatment can come in all forms. I admit to using "The Card" when I want to sway a decision in my direction, if you know what I mean. BUT, I do not and will not use "The Card" to get out of hardwork or contributing to a team or situation. There are some women in the troop that use "the card" and the men don't like having them in their crew for obvious reasons. I do not want to be lumped into that category of helpless/hopeless scout moms. I want to be an equal contributor!

I'm suppose to be going hiking for two nights this weekend. I wasn't thrilled about it, camping in March in Kentucky. It's cold here and that's all I have to say about that. BUT I bought and borrowed gear, had my backpack packed and low and behold....I started!!!! Yep, I sure did. Now folks, I'm not a big camper, but I do pride myself on hanging tough when I need to. But going hiking on Day 2 of cycle is not going to be a picnic since there are no latrines. All "duties" will be performed in the great outdoors, if you know what I mean. I spent the morning calling friends to get advice about what to do, surfed the internet for advice....and all I got was, "you'll have to carry your trash until you get a place with an appropriate disposal site. This translated into the end of our hike. Are you getting the picture here folks??? Well, you guessed it, I played the "chick" card and backed out of the hike. I just don't have it in me to go through all of that for a two day hike that I can makeup at a later date.

So tonight, I'm sitting here with a toddler that has been sick for 6 days now and no vehicle since I let Tucker's dad take "Black Betty" on the hike. He didn't have another vehicle to drive since he came to pick up Tucker straight from work. Yep, I'm basically stranded. It matches my mood...which is pretty icky!!!!
Kim

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I think I would have played the chick card too. I live with 3 guys too and try my best to keep up and be tough most of the time....but the monthly cycle is no fun.
I hope Elise feels better. What is wrong with her?
Lisa

Sonya said...

BLESS YOUR HEART!!!