Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Oooh that smell....

Can't you smell that smell?
Do you know the song I'm referring to by Lynyrd Skynyrd? Is the tune now in your head with the words circling around? (WELCOME TO MY WORLD OF TEENAGERS!!!)
"It's a Simple Kind of Man" is the music that plays when I'm waiting for him to answer his cell phone. What ever happened to a good ole fashion "ring". He listens to AC/DC too. I'm sorry, I am digressing. I just wanted to drag you into my world for a moment.
But seriously, I'm setting the stage for a recent conversation with the middle child, Tucker.
Right after school, he sits down at the kitchen table with me. This is not usual although we have a general conversation about the days events, any homework and what's on the agenda for the evening. He typically high tails it to his room to finish any homework he has so he can do the PS2 thing. So, this caught my attention almost immediately.
Tucker: "Mom, can I get contacts?"
Me: knowing that he is waiting for a "No"! "Sure, why not."
COMPLETE AND TOTAL SILENCE SINCE HE IS IN SHOCK. I'm seriously thinking I may have to give him a "flick" in the forehead to bring him back around to reality.
Tucker: "Oh, well thanks!"
Me: I lean towards him from my chair and start to sniff around his face. "What's that smell Tuck?"
Tucker:" What smell, I don't smell anything!" But you gotta see the look on his face and the fact that he's pulling his shirt up to sniff it.
Me: "Oh, I know what it is....I smell a girlfriend!"
Yes, my teenager has a "friend". So now he's even more concerned about his looks. So what's a mother to do. I know where this is coming from the moment the request is made. He thinks he's a "dork" and it just breaks my heart. I love his kind and gentle spirit. His ability to get along with anyone and everyone. But mostly, that adults enjoy him and think he is a kind and respectful young man. My heart bursts with pride!
So off to get contacts we go. Monday evening was the big trip. Elise just couldn't grasp why she wasn't going to get "her turn" in the chair like Mama and Tucker.
I already see his self confidence improving. I'm happy for him, but sad at the same time. We live in such a cruel world and teenagers can be the worst! I wish he did not have to experience that cruelty at such a young age. But alas, all a parent can do is prepare them and arm them with God's armour!
These are photos of Elise and Tucker before the appointment. I don't think I'll be seeing those glasses on his face anytime soon!

I love my big brother....he's not a dork to me!

No comments: