Saturday, June 16, 2007

PHILMONT.....Here we come...

Well, ready or not, I'm heading to Out West!

It's 3 a.m. on Saturday morning and I'm drinking a cup of coffee, trying to get my bearings. Our flight is at 6:30 a.m. (a time not fit for man nor beast IMHO!) I'm in my "Turbo Nerb" outfit and almost ready to go. "Turbo Nerd", you say. Yes, I'm wearing an official Boy Scout outfit. Tucker is mortified. But it's a necessary evil while traveling with the scouts!

I decided to make one short entry before I head out. We depart for Denver this morning and travel to Colorado Springs for a few days of sightseeing. This sightseeing is an attempt to acclimate us to the higher altitude. We reside at around 800 ft. sea level. Colorado Springs is 6000 feet and Philmont starts out at 6500 feet sea level.

On Tuesday, we leave Colorado Springs and make the two hour drive to Cimarron, New Mexico and the famous, Philmont Boy Scout Ranch. We hit the trail on Wednesday and our itinerary is 59 + miles of hiking in the Sangre De Cristo Mountains ~ "Blood of Christ" (part of the Rocky Mountain Range). You can google Philmont and read all about the 215 square miles of ranch that was donated to the Boy Scouts by oil baron Waite Phillips.

I won't blog while I'm gone, but plan to keep a written journal. That should be interesting.

We return on the 2nd and then depart a short 8 days later for China!

This is going to be a great summer.

No comments: