Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Out of Order?

This is not something that the mother of four wants to see on her washing machine. Since this particular washing machine is just around five years old...one wouldn't expect to see this.

Alas, I reside with a few young men that believe that "heavy duty" washing machine means that three weeks of dirty laundry can fit into ONE load. It doesn't matter what color, forget sorting~one load is the way to go according to these two. I won't go into the fact that they BOTH carry over a 4.2 GPA, one is a presidential scholar nominee (scored 35/36 on his ACT~scored a full tuition scholarship to Case and OSU), both have ALWAYS been on the honor roll and ALWAYS been High Honors (not JUST Honors). So imagine my disdain at the fact that they can not follow simple instructions on sorting laundry and loading the washing machine.

After a week of no washer, waiting for a part to arrive that never arrived and having the repair man leave my house not once, but twice for parts~the washing machine is running. Steve suggested that I go to the laundry mat...Are you feeling what I'm thinking? If you are, it ain't pretty!!!! There was more to the saga...the service call to Sears requesting the status of the parts that I ordered over a week ago and getting the answer, "We don't know where the pump is. It should have shipped. We'll have to research it." Holy Moly! The part never did arrive and when I tried to cancel the order, they told me I couldn't cancel it. I would have to wait until the part arrived and then ship it back for credit. Again, are you feeling what I'm thinking????

Finally, the repair charge was the equivalent of 1/2 the original cost of the washer. Another very sad part of the story. I won't repair it again~next time, new washer.

On top of the repair, the service guy informed me that my hot & cold water was not installed "to code" and was backwards. The entire time I've lived in this hours 10+ years, I have had the hot and cold water hooked up incorrectly!!!!!

My repair guy is very nice and accommodating. He mentioned that I may want to have my dryer serviced since lint can accumulate on the motor and cause fires. I smiled and said thanks, but not today. I'll let you know on that.

Being the "DIY" kind of gal that I am, I decided to clean the dryer myself. Imagine my surprise when I removed the front panel and this is what I found....

That is lint my friends!!!! Yes, lint~more than I care to really admit to, but I am.

After all was said and done this is what I found:
$3.68 in change
2 paper clips
1 safety pin
1 button
1 rubber band &
1 hair band
That's a clean swiffer next to the dirty swiffer!
This is a picture of the amount of lint I found INSIDE the dryer~not in the lint catcher! That's a 12 inch ruler beside that pile. Very nice!


This is what the dryer SHOULD look like.
Both washer and dryer are running great as I type this. Thank the Lord! The only remaining problem is the smell that is emanating from somewhere in the laundry room~probably from the stagnant water that set in the washer for a week. I have yet to find the source of the smell, much to my dismay!
After all of this, my stress level is a little high. So I headed to the frig for some chocolate or ice cream or something. But alas, I opened the door to find nothing on my comfort list of foods. What I did find was an EXPLODED Diet Coke!
It's 5 o'clock somewhere...right?????
image signature

2 comments:

Sonya said...

OH MY! That is just so so bad! But, I must say you did a wonderful job posting it all! LOL!

Lisa said...

Wow, I think you handled the situation wonderfully and was able to find the humor in it all.