Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sadness



Losing a child would have to be the most devastating thing that could happen to a family. I don't know how I would cope~only by the Grace of God could I survive.

This week, Steven Curtis Chapman lost his youngest child, Maria, to a tragic accident at their home. This is a video of Maria. It just breaks my heart.

Maria was also adopted from China and just turned 5 years old. She is sitting on her daddy's lap in the photo. Her adoption story is inspiring...she was a waiting child that Steven met during a visit to China. The Chapman's had no intention of adopting again, but God had another plan. I believe that Mary Beth rushed to China during the SARS epidemic before they closed the country to bring Maria home before it was too late and they would have had to wait months to travel.

To say that Steven Curtis Chapman and his family have inspired thousands to adopt is an understatement. I was privileged to see him in concert during an reunion picnic with AHH adoption agency. That was three years ago this summer and I captured several photos of all of his girls. It was a very special concert and he sang a very special song that he wrote for his wife, Mary Beth, that he will only sing at his concerts. I'll have to see if I can't download it since I did video it.

Steven's newest song "I'll Dance with Cinderella" is below. I'm sure it's even more poignant for many people during this sad time.

My thoughts are constantly going to this family and another family in our area that lost their very young daughters in the same way. Then my thoughts turn to my father who lost his brother in a tragic auto accident when Dad was only sixteen and his brother was even younger than him. Dad was driving the car. He never speaks of the accident and I never ask. But my heart aches even more for him right now. His brother was named Charles Christopher and they called him Tucker.
We have one young driver, soon to be two, in our home. One new rule will be that no vehicle can be started unless the girls are sitting on the porch or the deck before they can leave the area. That's good advice for anyone of any age.
Dance with Jesus, Maria Sue Chapman! We'll see you soon!!!

No comments: