Saturday, January 06, 2007

Where oh where have I been????


Hello everyone! I know, it's been FOREVER since I've updated this blog. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years have come and gone. It's pathetic, I know. I've actually received emails asking me to update by blog. That's when you know you've been ignoring the obvious. So, today is a short update since I have small group tonight and I must leave in about an hour.


So, what's up with this weather? It's January in Ohio and I have wore my winter coat about a handful of times. Currently, Elise is outside running around like a lunatic looking for her friend, Tia Bella. She just rang the door bell with a stick (couldn't reach it otherwise) and yelled, "HI MAMA!" when I opened the door. What a hoot. I'm not complaining about this weather, don't get me wrong...I'm just wondering when the bottom will drop out on us. My Flowering Quince bush is blooming in JANUARY!


I spend a better part of today at a wrestling meet. Yep, Tucker is wrestling for Lakota Ridge Junior School. He wrestles in the 92 pound weight class (he weighs 89 pounds). Let me just say that these meets are very "stressful" for me. Not kidding when I say that I am a total basket case. I have heart palpitations, can't stray too far from the restroom , hands shaking....I'm a mess. It's actually quite pathetic. I did have the presense of mind to video tape the matches today, alibet a "shakey" recording it will be. Not to be a braggart, Tucker's record is 10 wins and one loss. He wrestled three times today and pinned his opponent everytime. Wrestling can be very exciting....I will say that. For all the anxiety that it causes me, he seems to enjoy it and as long as that's the case, what's a mother to do?


For those of you who do not know it, we are adopting again. Yes, you heard it right. Our documents for our second adoption from China were mailed to China on September 1st and officially logged into their adoption process on September 26, 2006. Currently, our documents are in what is referred to as the "Non special needs" route, but our hearts are open to the possibilities of adopting a child with medical needs. Let me first emphasis that these children with medical needs are typically taken very good care of in China and once in the US thrive like any other child. The medical needs are easily taken care of either in China or here. It's just a classification that China must give these children since they may have had some medical issues early in life.


All of this being said, the adoption process in China has changed 180 degrees since we brought Elise home two years ago. Speaking of which, two years ago today is the first time I saw my sweet daughter's face. I'll never forget my co-worker Claire watching over my shoulder as I clicked on the "open" button of the email to look at the photo the agency had sent me. I had my eyes closed and all I could hear was Claire say, "Boy Sister, you got a deal!" Gotta love your friend's honesty. We waited six months to find out about Elise once our documents were sent to China. The current wait is 14-16 months (UGH) and is getting longer. The other thing is that China has dramatically changed the requirements for adoptive parents. These changes will not be enforced for anyone that already has their documents in China. At least that is what they are saying, but the cynical side of me doesn't necessarily believe that. The problem in China now is that so many people have requested children, that the demand is more than the supply. How can that be you say? It's true, Elise's orphanage is now closed and another family has told me that the orphanage their daughter is from typically has around 400 children in it. They currently have 200 children. Most of this is due to fewer children being abandoned by birth families which is a very good thing. Economic conditions are improving in China and families are less likely to abandon a child if they are financially sound. So, we will wait and see what God has in store for our family. We aren't getting any younger, but I'm sure God has the perfect child in mind to complete our family. This will be our LAST child....we are all in agreement on that!
Then there's the entire adoption community as a whole....this time around, I have encountered more intolerance of Christians and people with faith than I can believe. I am shocked at the people that openly request that individuals involved in internet support groups refrain from expressing anything that has to do with God in their emails/posts. Again, I'm shocked and dismayed. I would have thought in today's society that embraces everything, it wouldn't be a problem...but Christianity is. It makes me very sad for those people.


I've blogged enough for now. I have attached a photo of Steve's mom and Tim. They came to visit right before Christmas. I'll blog more about that at another time. I'm off to group!
Blessings,
Kim

2 comments:

Lisa said...

So glad you finally updated your blog! I have checked it several times for an update!
Sounds like you all had a wonderful holiday! I hope the new year brings good news on the second adoption!
Lisa

Leslie said...

WELL LOOKING HERE!!!!!

I'm so glad you updated your blog also. Great job in updating all of us. Elise is such a cute little darling. I love, love, love her referral picture. I hope we get a picture like that of our Lily. I'm with you also about the who Christianity thing. It's very sad.

Keep the post coming. There is a lot of us wanting to keep track of you and your family.

Leslie