Sunday, June 22, 2008

One year ago....

I've been rather nostalgic the last few days. It was a year ago that I embarked on an adventure of a lifetime...backing at Philmont Boy Scout Ranch in Cimmeron, New Mexico. We started on June 19, 2007~so our crew number was 619D2. We did not actually hit the trail until 6/20 and that's when the fun began. Well, actually it began before that...as I reread my journal about the first day at Base Camp~I recalled how much I wanted to just come home. I was overwhelmed with the journey that was ahead of us and a little more than freaked over leaving for China as soon as I returned home. I did not finalize our flights for China until a day earlier while in Colorado Springs. To say I was a little stress is an understatement.

As we were departing Base Camp on 6/20, we had to weigh our backpacks. Mine weighed in a little over 50 pounds and I was wondering how I was going to carry that for 11 more days. Fortunately, things were redistributed and I left base with a pack weighing around 42 pounds. That was still a little intimidating, but there wasn't much more I could do. I remember having minor panic attacks as I started out each leg. WOW~I kept thinking I had bitten off more than I could chew!

Click to play Philmont ~The Beginning
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook


I actually kept a written journal during that trip and I've been reading it. Holy Toledo ~ did I go through a lot of different emotions. The first few days were the roughest. We started out at a pretty low altitude, 6000 feet. That wasn't too bad, but on the second day, we made an accent to Touchache Springs and that was an elevation change of 2000 feet. Most of that change was done in a very short, uphill hike. It was BRUTAL! I remember our ranger, Scott, telling us to not stop and "just push through it!". I thought I was going to inflict physical harm on the poor boy. I wanted to tell him that he had four adults that were over 40, one was over 50 and he was 19~to "just chill out!". But I kept it to myself. I think the funniest thing that happened that first night was sleeping in a cow pasture with a herd of cattle. Yep, they came right in to camp and checked us out. Our first "wildlife" siting.

I'll probably post more about the trip and more photos. I would go back in a minute, but it doesn't appear it will happen next year.


image signature

No comments: